The Sewall Memorial Church in Robbinston, Maine suffered damage to the stained glass windows on the South side of the building this Fall (2019). One window experienced such force as to blow a hole through it, FROM THE INSIDE OUT!Read More
The top half of a 6 ft. by 3 ft. window that was in for replacement of some broken pieces and restore some lead. We also reversed these panels in the sash, to get the reinforcing bars to be on the back, so it could be backlit and not have the bars showing.
Normally, of course, the bars are on the inside, so as not to be exposed to the weather.
This is a small window "sign" for above the door leading to the Columbarium in a church.
Can you help with identifying this church? It is supposed to have been in Maine at least in the mid(19)20's.Read More
This project involved two sashes that make up one window in the Frenchboro Church. These came in seriously bowed and practically falling out of the frames. Luckily none of the glass had fallen out so was in good shape. The lead, however had lost all it's strength.Read More
I replaced some broken pieces of glass in two sidelight windows. The lead was in very good shape but three pieces were broken and needed to be replaced in order for the sale of the house to go through. It would have been prohibitively expensive to remove from sashes, disassemble the window and replace the broken ones. So I used a technique that allows the glass to stay in the sashes. In this method, the lead is cut away on the back side (exterior) and the pieces are removed.
I first cut some foam panels which fit inside the sashes and were the right thickness to support the glass from underneath. The holes are to allow the rosettes to lower below the surface of the foam and keep the panel fully supported.
Next was to cut the lead away from the offending pieces and removing them. To do this,I scored many lines across them with the glass cutter, then bashed a hole in the middle of each piece and worke toward the edges. The photo above shows the middle panel completely removed.
A different panel, same project, this shows a replacement piece with foiled edges, ready to be soldered to the heart and other side of the lead came. The difficulty was keeping the lead line a consistant 1/4", because inconsistencies would show from the other side. (especially since it was clear glass!)
Close-up of soldered side. The bottom intersection of led lines is where a rosette will be put back on.
A finished panel was difficult to photograph, but this is one of them against a white background. Since I did this as a sub-contracted job, I have no idea where these windows were installed. It would be nice to have a photo of them on either side of a (sure to be) grand entrance.
I started working with glass in 1984, under the mentorship of the owners of Asylum Glass Studio, in Newport (ME) I did production work at first, cutting, and assembling floral overlays for mirrors and lampshade pieces. I also designed commissioned windows, and all three of us designed and made window panels that we took to regional craft shows and on winter tours to the shows in Florida.
In 1983 we created the first public art window for Solon Elementary School, Solon, ME. I was fortunate to be awarded seven more Percent for Art projects from 1984 thru 1990. During this time I also did many repair jobs and some private commissions.